MATERIALS CERAMIC TILE: Larger than 4″ x 4″ tile
THIN SET (sanded): to meet ANSI A 118.4 for latex Portland Cement. All ceramic tile installation must conform to ANSI A108
WECU: WECU Crackless for stress crack suppression only, WECU Soundless for sound control for concrete structure with suspended ceiling: WECU Soundless+ for optimum sound control for concrete and wood joist structure with or without suspended ceiling.
MASTIC: for above grade indoor Installation use a ceramic tile mastic which conforms to ANSI A.136.1 TYPE 1 or a good quality indoor/outdoor carpet adhesive.
1. Subfloor must be structurally sound, level and clean.
2. Spread out mastic on subfloor with flat side of a 3/16- v-notched trowel to achieve good bond. Then, Use the notched side for a good bond to WECU.
3. Install WECU butting seams and up to walls snugly.
4. Roll over WECU with 75-100 Ibs roller starting in the center and rolling to the outer edge to eliminate air bubbles.
5. Cover seams using 1″ masking tape. Once WECU is securely adhered to the subfloor proceed with the installation of selected flooring product.
- CERAMIC TILE: Set with sanded thin set mixed with minimum acrylic latex solids of 20% to insure strong bond. Be certain to follow manufacturers recommended curing time before using floor.
- MARBLE: Install using a medium bed mortar mixed with acrylic latex or use the mud set method.
- HARDWOOD FLOORS: Choose floor manufacturer’s recommended adhesive for application on WECU. Do not use nails or screws.
6. For Sound Control: Leave a 1/4″ gap between perimeter wall and flooring. Insert WECU expansion-joints or fill with acoustical sealant to prevent sound from being transmitted through the walls.
WECU UNDER RADIANT IN-FLOOR HEAT
When installing over WECU to the subfloor follow our installation instructions for application under ceramic tile, marble & hardwood flooring using latex modified thin set or a freeze/thaw stable adhesive. Installation instructions of the in-floor heating vary by manufacturer. WE Cork recommends that you follow the manufacturers installation instructions
ADDITIONAL INSTRUCTIONS FOR HARDWOOD
1. For a glue-down floor, the WECU needs to be glued to the subfloor, with the wood flooring glued to the WECU. Choose floor manufacturer’s recommended adhesive for application on WECU.
2. For a floating-floor system, the WECU can be loose laid over the subfloor, and the wood flooring floated above that.
3. For a nail-down floor, the WECU is loose laid over the subfloor. A double layer of 3/8″ plywood, glued and screwed together at right angles is then laid over the WECU, and the wood floor is nailed into the plywood. To preserve the integrity of the sound rated floor system, never mechanically fasten the WECU with nails, screws or staples, since this will severely diminish the acoustical performance of the system.
1. For use under floating wood and laminate floors loosely lay the WECU Silently + over the subfloor.
2. Where the WECU Silently + meets the wall the vapor barrier should be allowed to run up the wall and taped with a moisture resistant tape (duct tape).
3. Butt seams snugly throughout the installation, allow the plastic to overlap. Tape down plastic vapor barrier along seam using a moisture resistant tape (duct tape).
4. At the finishing wall allow the plastic vapor barrier to run up the wall and then tape. If necessary, trim back rubber portion of underlayment leaving only the plastic vapor barrier remaining prior to running up the wall.
WECU Silently-LVT Installation Instructions
Prior to Installation
WECU Silently-LVT should be removed from packaging and acclimated for 24-48 hours in room temperature between 65 and 84° Fahrenheit. Humidity not to exceed 75%.
Subfloors must adhere to flooring manufacturer’s guidelines. Floor must be structurally sound, level, clean and dry. Inspect concrete subfloors for any open cracks and fill with a high-grade epoxy filler. Concrete subfloor should be tested for moisture per the latest edition of ASTM F 2170. In addition, calcium chloride tests can be performed per ASTM F 1869. Lightweight concrete should be tested per the latest edition of ASTM F 2170 and ASTM F 710. Gypsum subfloors must be properly sealed and free of structural cracks.
For sound control installations it is important to prevent contact between flooring and the wall and baseboard to minimize sound transfer. If base molding has not been installed, glue a ½” strip of Silently-LVT before flooring is installed along the base of the wall. After flooring has been installed cut excess Silently-LVT strip off slightly above flooring, ensuring baseboard does not sit directly on top of installed LVT. Acoustical sealant can also be used around the perimeter to prevent sound transfer.
If baseboard is already installed use acoustical sealant between LVT flooring and baseboard and cover with shoe base molding. For optimized sound control the shoe base must not come in contact with the floor.
Layout Silently-LVT and Apply Adhesive
Precut Silently-LVT to desired length of room prior to applying adhesive. When laying out underlayment leave proper excess to cut along the wall and other obstruction. After floor is laid out roll back up and begin applying adhesive.
Use the same adhesive to install Silently-LVT that is being used to install flooring. Always follow adhesive manufacturer’s recommended installation instructions. Use recommended trowel to adhere silently-LVT to the subfloor and spread adhesive as directed.
Glue Down Silently-LVT & Cut In
Roll out Silently-LVT over adhesive making sure to butt to outside perimeter and butt tightly to adjoining seam. It is critical that Silently-LVT is installed smoothly and well seamed.
Flatten Out Silently-LVT & Roll Floor
Inspect the adhesion of Silently-LVT and make sure any trapped air pockets are properly flattened out by hand. Before adhesive has dried roll the Silently-LVT in both directions with a 70-100 lb roller. Again it is critical that the Silently-LVT be installed smooth and well seamed for a successful LVT or Linoleum flooring installation.
After Silently-LVT is properly adhered to the subfloor and adhesive has dried, installation of flooring can begin. Make sure Silently-LVT is clean. Spread recommended adhesive and begin installation. Seams of LVT flooring must run perpendicular to seams of Silently-LVT.
For Floating Floor
The WECU Silently-LVT can be floated. Follow above instructions for product acclimation, subfloor prep and perimeter isolation. Install WECU Silently-LVT directly against the perimeter. Butt and tape seams, then follow flooring manufacturer’s recommended installation instructions for flooring.