MATERIALS CERAMIC TILE: Larger than 4″ x 4″ tile
THIN SET (sanded): to meet ANSI A 118.4 for latex Portland Cement. All ceramic tile installation must conform to ANSI A108
WECU: WECU Crackless for stress crack suppression only, WECU Soundless for sound control for concrete structure with suspended ceiling: WECU Soundless+ for optimum sound control for concrete and wood joist structure with or without suspended ceiling.
MASTIC: for above grade indoor Installation use a ceramic tile mastic which conforms to ANSI A.136.1 TYPE 1 or a good quality indoor/outdoor carpet adhesive.
1. Subfloor must be structurally sound, level and clean.
2. Spread out mastic on subfloor with flat side of a 3/16- v-notched trowel to achieve good bond. Then, Use the notched side for a good bond to WECU.
3. Install WECU butting seams and up to walls snugly.
4. Roll over WECU with 75-100 Ibs roller starting in the center and rolling to the outer edge to eliminate air bubbles.
5. Cover seams using 1″ masking tape. Once WECU is securely adhered to the subfloor proceed with the installation of selected flooring product.
- CERAMIC TILE: Set with sanded thin set mixed with minimum acrylic latex solids of 20% to insure strong bond. Be certain to follow manufacturers recommended curing time before using floor.
- MARBLE: Install using a medium bed mortar mixed with acrylic latex or use the mud set method.
- HARDWOOD FLOORS: Choose floor manufacturer’s recommended adhesive for application on WECU. Do not use nails or screws.
6. For Sound Control: Leave a 1/4″ gap between perimeter wall and flooring. Insert WECU expansion-joints or fill with acoustical sealant to prevent sound from being transmitted through the walls.
WECU UNDER RADIANT IN-FLOOR HEAT
When installing over WECU to the subfloor follow our installation instructions for application under ceramic tile, marble & hardwood flooring using latex modified thin set or a freeze/thaw stable adhesive. Installation instructions of the in-floor heating vary by manufacturer. WE Cork recommends that you follow the manufacturers installation instructions
ADDITIONAL INSTRUCTIONS FOR HARDWOOD
1. For a glue-down floor, the WECU needs to be glued to the subfloor, with the wood flooring glued to the WECU. Choose floor manufacturer’s recommended adhesive for application on WECU.
2. For a floating-floor system, the WECU can be loose laid over the subfloor, and the wood flooring floated above that.
3. For a nail-down floor, the WECU is loose laid over the subfloor. A double layer of 3/8″ plywood, glued and screwed together at right angles is then laid over the WECU, and the wood floor is nailed into the plywood. To preserve the integrity of the sound rated floor system, never mechanically fasten the WECU with nails, screws or staples, since this will severely diminish the acoustical performance of the system.
1. For use under floating wood and laminate floors loosely lay the WECU Silently + over the subfloor.
2. Where the WECU Silently + meets the wall the vapor barrier should be allowed to run up the wall and taped with a moisture resistant tape (duct tape).
3. Butt seams snugly throughout the installation, allow the plastic to overlap. Tape down plastic vapor barrier along seam using a moisture resistant tape (duct tape).
4. At the finishing wall allow the plastic vapor barrier to run up the wall and then tape. If necessary, trim back rubber portion of underlayment leaving only the plastic vapor barrier remaining prior to running up the wall.